analytics

Thursday, June 23, 2011

It went great!

So the news is everything is good! They retrieved 25 follicles (eggs) and Dr. Foulk said about 60% should fertilize, they watch them and see which ones look the strongest, and since there are so many we should be able to let them wait 5 days and then we'll put them back in! So Tuesday!

I'm home right now and they told me to take a nap and rest but I can't sleep  so I've just got my hot pad on my tummy and am watching a redbox... The Switch actually... ha ha... Rob took Robby to A&B's so I can just sit here and take it easy. Rob made me some tomato soup and I ate half a grilled cheese before he left - I was so hungry this morning when I couldn't eat and that sandwich and soup hit the spot.

Tuesday I went in for another ultrasound and a blood draw - they called me that day to say yes we want to trigger you, give yourself your HCG shot at 9 pm that night. They gave me instructions about what else I needed to do before the retrieval.

In the morning I was supposed to take a pregnancy test to make sure the HCG was in my system (since HCG is the hormone your body makes when you're pregnant and that's what those tests are detect!). It was very weird to see this positive pregnancy test not in relation to actually being pregnant - I told myself it was just an "HCG test." I called them to let them know it was positive.

All yesterday my tummy was feeling kind of full and uncomfortable - sometimes it felt like when you're pregnant and your ligaments are stretching. The spot where I gave myself the HCG shot the night before felt like a big bump and was really tender. Not to mention my chest has been incredibly sore - I'm sure it's just all the hormones. Anyway, I was just feeling kind of weird. I'm glad it was time to take all those eggs out!

The anesthesiologist called me yesterday to go over the details about my medical history and what I needed to do to prepare- nothing to eat or drink after midnight, nothing in the morning (kept having to stop myself from drinking some water). He said if I drank some gatorade the night before it'd help me feel better after the retrieval. So last night I had some yogurt and 32 oz of gatorade just before midnight. He said people seem to do pretty well if you can rest after the procedure and keep a hot pad on you. He was very nice and told me to call him on his cell phone if I had any questions!! I appreciated that.

My friend Maranda came over at 8:15 am in the morning (that was for you Tab! ;)) to watch Robby and we checking into the fertility center at 8:30 am. We met the friendly anesthesiologist and as always they asked me to go to the bathroom first (those bladders need to be emptied before all the ultrasounds and everything) then I just undressed waist down and put the hospital gown on.

He came in gave a little shot in my hand to numb it that stung a little but it meant I didn't feel it at all when he put the other needle in! Yeah! He put some IV fluid in me and then that's what he used to give me the rest of the medications. The anesthesia was the part I was most worried about and the only part I was awake for so I'll give you as many details as I can remember. He put the little oxygen tube in my nose, blood pressure cuff on my arm, heart monitors on my chest, and put his stethoscope near my throat too. Here I am in all my glory:

First he gave me something to help me relax and it made me a little sleepy. I liked that one because I was still conscious but stopped worrying. Then he put some anti-nausea medication which he said would last the longest. Then I remember them saying they were ready to get started and Rob kissed me goodbye and then.....

I started to wake up. I couldn't believe it was over. About 40 minutes had passed I think. I was sleepy and didn't want to wake up. My mouth was so dry and my lips too. Rob got me some water but my mouth just felt all cottony! They let me lay there and wake up slowly for about 15 minutes or so.

Dr. Foulk came in and told me they got 25 follicles. He explained that it's best to let them wait as long as you can - if you don't have very many eggs and they aren't doing great they'll put them back in sooner but if we can wait 5 days and still have 8 or so eggs to choose from and pick the best from there that's great. The longer you can wait then we can see which ones will be the strongest and have the best chance. So we'll put them back in Tuesday probably.


An example of an embryo 3 days after fertilization

They will call us tomorrow to let us know how many fertilized - they take Rob's sperm and mix them together within an hour or so of taking the eggs out but then it takes 12 hours to see how many actually fertilize.

So if we go in Tuesday then I think they do a blood test 7 & 10 days after that to see if it worked! The reason they do 2 is in case there's some trace of HCG still left in your system from the trigger shot and we don't want to have false information. But if there's HCG on day 7 and then it doubles by day 10 then it means your pregnant. So by July 8th!

For now I am just having to give myself progesterone oil shots - or Rob will have to do it! They gave me my first one today while I was under - that one leaves a mark! These will be in my lower hip (bum) area. They look like they aren't going to be very fun but if it helps a baby stay inside I'll do whatever I need to!!! We will also do an acupuncture treatment right before the transfer as well. I need to an another post on acupuncture but that'll have to be later.

I'm just happy everything went so well! Rob gave me a blessing last night and I have been calm and happy and I just feel good. Thank you so much for all your support! I know that all your prayers are helping us stay calm and be comforted.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing all the details of your story! I had no idea they put you under for invitro....although it makes perfect sense. Hope you are back to normal soon and that everything works out in your favor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad this went well!! can't wait for july 8th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no clue this was such a process. It sounds kind of miserable to be honest. I hope you are doing alright in it all. You seem quite chipper to be going through it. I'm sure you are more than ready huh? This blog is so great. I will check back tuesday. Love you counsin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Es, I love reading all the details and becoming more familiar with all these things. I was so relieved everything went well; it was hard to tell, judging by the sound of your voice on the phone! I hope you got some rest. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esther! I am crossing my fingers and praying hard! What a journey! Hope you are feeling alright! The girls talk about "swimming at Robby's pool" all the time still. Guess we should try to play sometime? If you feel up to it in the coming weeks, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esther--so good to read all this and hear how things are going. I'm so glad all of this went well. We can't wait to hear more, and see you guys soon! We're hoping and praying for some exciting news. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so anxious to hear how many fertilized and can barely wait to hear your news in early July! I really hope you get one, or two siblings for Robbie!

    ReplyDelete