analytics

Monday, June 13, 2011

Back on track!

That was a close call!

So after being pretty worried and stressed and imagining the worst (which at this point would be that they put me back on birth control for 8 weeks since we can't do IVF next month cause we'll be in MD) it turns out everything is now ok!

And now there will be a few graphic-ish details so feel free to skip - the basic message is everything's ok now! And now I am happy like I am in this picture:

When we got to my apt I told them that I was worried I never really got my period but that I just spotted/bled the whole time I was on birth control. Dr. Foulk was doing the ultrasound and he quickly saw that my endometrial lining was very thin and reassured me that all that bleeding was my period and we were good to go. Ok sounds good.

Then the cyst - still there and it was really big. He said we could just drain it and then it'd be gone and we'd be fine. Cysts will form and then dissolve all by themselves but we didn't want to leave it there because we didn't want it to interfere with the follicles that we were going to be stimulating. I was a little nervous about the draining bit but was definitely on board with doing whatever was needed to keep us on our current schedule!

(desperate for pictures!)
Ok so some details on this - not for the squeamish... so in order to drain the cyst they needed to first clean me out so they did what he called a "super-douche" which was kind of uncomfortable but he had warned me and it wasn't as bad as he made it sound. He said "dilution is the solution to bacterial pollution." Ok great. Since they were going to be inserting a needle through the vaginal wall we needed to make sure there wouldn't be any chance of infection - or the round of antibiotics we did last week would be for naught!

After the "super-douche" they put the ultrasound probe in, found the giant cyst, and then he warned me when he was going to put the needle in and that I'd feel a poke but to try not to jump. It was definitely a "whoa" feeling but like he said, it lasted only about 5 seconds. Ok, then this was crazy, he showed us the amount of fluid that was drained out - it was 35 cc's so that was like a syringe as thick as my thumb full. He said it was fluid just like you'd have in a blister. Anyways I was shocked! We watched on the ultrasound machine as the needle went in and then it totally shrunk... very interesting. Sorry if that was gross. Wait, I created this blog so I wouldn't have to apologize for sharing details! Just, usually that won't be that gross hopefully....

When it was done they had me stay laying down for 10 minutes because sometimes people can be a little woozy. The nurse said, "that was like a mini egg retrieval - just 5 seconds instead of 45 minutes!" I got up and felt fine - a little weird down there but not bad.

I was just so relieved that we didn't have to push this back or go back on birth control or anything! I was able to start my other 2 medications tonight (was supposed to start this morning but they had told me to hold off till we re-checked the cyst) and then the next step is a blood test on Friday to check my hormone levels.

I'm so grateful that things are going well so far - thank you all for your prayers and support!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome, I'm so glad it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayy! And I'm glad you post the dtails this stuff fascinates a future nurse like me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! glad they were able to take care of that cyst!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an amazing process. Nothing grosses me out. Our bodies are so incredible and I'm really praying this works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you were able to continue. We attempted IUI like 5 times (back in 2004) and had each cycle cancelled for one reason or another. It was so very frustrating! I'm so glad you are writing about this. I am really hoping this works for you on the first try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Esther! I hope everything works for you guys! You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so much admiration for you! A friend of mine successfully had a baby through IVF, and obviously is enormously grateful for the baby, but also told me how incredibly difficult all the hormones and everything were for her. I'm sure this is all very hard for you, too, but you are so optimistic (as always)! You're such a great example to me of cheerfully making whatever sacrifices are necessary to have the children Heavenly Father wants to send us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that was so interesting! Your optimism really comes through :D Just keep visualizing that little baby and before you know it you'll be holding the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. vidalista 10 mg is used to treat erection problems erectile dysfunction and symptoms of an enlarged prostate. It's also sometimes used to treat pulmonary hypertension. which is high blood pressure that occurs in the main artery that carries blood from the right side of the heart to the lungs.

    ReplyDelete