analytics

Monday, June 6, 2011

Beginning of IVF Cycle!

Tonight I take my last birth control pill! I know, it's weird, birth control when trying to get pregnant? To be honest I'm still not super satisfied with answers I've gotten for why this is necessary but I'm going to go along with the program even if normally I'm not for going with the flow.

From what they've explained it's mostly an office management tool - they want people on the same time line and to do all the IVF procedures around the same time so by using birth control they make you not ovulate and then using other hormones have more control over your cycle. Also, the nurse said it's to give my ovaries a rest before we start pumping the stimulating hormones into me! On my end it's mostly just made me bleed most of the month off and on and have awful period cramps... but if it's what I need to do right now then that's fine.

So I guess I'll have my period after stopping the birth control - which is kind of weird, I didn't really think about having my period again when I started the pills and felt like we were on our way to IVF! This feels like a failed attempt even though we haven't actually started and everything's still going to plan.

I have also been taking Lupron for the last week - a drug also used to prevent you from ovulating ahead of schedule. I was lucky enough to have my neighbor/friend Shayli come over and help give me my shot the first two mornings which helped me not be too scared to do it myself. Last year when Rob was helping me give myself shots for our IUI cycle every time, all 3 shots, were just ridiculously hard even though the needle was tiny. We were just both so scared to actually jam it into my body! So watching Shayli do it with expert ease gave me a little more confidence. A week later, I'm basically an expert! Not really... but almost.

Other medications so far - they put both Rob and me on an antibiotic, Doxycycline, for 10 days to make sure we don't have any kind of infection that could mess this up! Also, I'm taking prenatal vitamins of course and they have me taking Baby Asprin which reminds me of the days in the Eager Study.

We are also taking some stuff that our Chinese medicine doctor has given us! I think that's for its own post...

And I'm going to try to take some pictures and see if I can't make this a little bit more exciting... we'll see!

2 comments:

  1. no pictures of the shots though, please ;) (my knees!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think of the period as a failed attempt, just think of it as making sure your uterus is all cleaned out and ready to prepare for baby #2!

    ReplyDelete