analytics

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Egg transfer tomorrow??

 I have to say I had no idea the egg retrieval would be a big deal physically - I mean, yes, I was going under anesthesia and they were going to poke my ovaries with needles... but it seemed like they made a big deal about the egg transfer and I'd need to rest for 48 hours after that... anyway, my point is - my body is still hurting! I spent all Thursday with my heating pad on me and that helped but now I see why when we were leaving the nurse said, "So, just extra strength tylenol, if you need something stronger give us a call." I was like, why would I need that? OHHHHHH. I get it now. I'm surviving on just tylenol and still using my heating pad. I'm sure it'll get better soon.

Yesterday afternoon I called to check on my eggs and got what I felt was a little surprising of an update - so, they retrieved 25 eggs. Out of the 25 eggs only 14 were mature. They did ICSI on those 14 eggs (that means they injected sperm into those 14 eggs) and of those 10 actually fertilized. So, we went from 25 to 10 pretty quickly. Still good it just sounded not as great to me. She said they'd have another update for me tomorrow (Saturday) but didn't have any more information on if the transfer would be Sunday or Tuesday.

Today I called them at around 4 to see if they could tell me how my eggs were doing. (I feel a bit like a mother hen!) I left a message for the lab. I got a call from Tonya, ones of the nurses, and she asked us to come in tomorrow (Sunday) at 10:30 am prepared to do the egg transfer but that we would sit down and talk with Dr. Foulk and there's a chance we'll decide to wait but that we probably would do it tomorrow. Ok. I was kind of surprised because Dr. Foulk seemed so sure we would do the transfer on Tuesday but maybe our eggs are not doing so great so they want to do it sooner?

Later I got a call back from the woman in the lab and she was very nice and gave me an update on my eggs - she said 2 were 4 cell and looking great, high quality, and that there were a few that were a little fragmented but that they didn't worry unless it was 25% and it was only 10% (I'm just telling you what she said I did not really understand it!) and that there were 5 or so that were still 3 cell and had time to develop and so we'll see.... ok.... She was very nice and I appreciate her giving me the details even if I don't completely understand them.

Bottom line - we're going in tomorrow at 10:30 and we may or may not be transferring eggs. I feel anxious... like it'll be hard to go in tomorrow and then NOT do it but it might be the better thing so I'm trying to be prepared in case we do and be prepared in case we don't... all a very crazy mix of emotions.

Also the closer it's getting to putting them back in the more real this feels... the more I'm starting to feel myself really hoping that this works! And then it's just waiting to find out if it did or not. And I'm not exactly ready for the 48 hrs of bed rest, my house is kind of a mess and I'm sure I need to do laundry and should've gone grocery shopping today! Oh well! We'll survive. And it'd be nice if we did it tomorrow cause Rob would be home all day... but it's also maybe better if it's not tomorrow... back and forth...

We will just go in, see what Dr. Foulk says, and go from there. Trying to stay calm! :)

6 comments:

  1. So exciting, Es! I'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a roller coaster ride this is! I just wait for updates each day! This just has to work for your cute little family. Love you sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had several friends go through IVF and it has always been a bit like this. 20+ follicles, around 10 or less mature eggs, and then fewer than that fertilize. But ALL of them got pregnant with that situation (a few needed the frozen embryos but still got pregnant). I guess I'm saying that while it's not superb news, it doesn't mean you won't get pregnant. In fact, I have one friend that had a very "bad" IVF cycle. She had 27 follicles, only 4 mature eggs came from that, on 2 eggs fertilized and only one of those looked "good" and she has a healthy 4 year-old from that cycle. I even think it was at the same center you are using. So hang in there. All these numbers and percentages don't really tell you what is going to happen and I will be saying prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so exciting! Sounds like it's going well and sounds like the doctors office is great at keeping you updated and involved, even though I don't understand what they're saying either! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're in our prayers! Hope it works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope everything goes well! I'm praying so hard for you guys!! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'd love to come and clean your house, shop for you, cook, etc. Anything to help you rest! :-)

    ReplyDelete