analytics

Monday, September 12, 2011

Ideas?

Alright so the first trimester is almost over and I have had very little to complain about - this has been great! Not throwing up, more tired but not completely exhausted... but for like the last week and a half I've had 2 problems... Headaches & I can't sleep.

Headaches - from the base of my neck... off and on and it just kills. I went to Dr Dummar on Tuesday and he did a chiropractic adjustment which made it feel better then but then they came back quickly. Saturday I had a massage which again felt great but didn't solve the problem. I don't like taking tylenol because I feel like I'd rather not take meds during the pregnancy and I feel like it doesn't do anything anyway so what's the point - the two times I have taken it it's barely made a difference. The most frustrating thing is when I WAKE UP with a headache! Cause you think getting sleep would make it better! Grr! Oh well, it's just getting really old! And I wish there was more I could do!

Can't sleep - I fall asleep... then I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go BACK to sleep. It is SOOOO annoying. Sunday I woke up at 3:30 am and didn't go back to sleep at all. I just get up and go to the bathroom 18 times... roll around... sometimes I'll get up and eat something. Becca said maybe my body is hungry and I am going to try just getting up and eating something right when I wake up next time and see if that helps me go back to sleep. Also, I usually take all my pills (prenatal vitamins, fish oil pills, cofactor pill, and herbs that I finally capsulated because I couldn't drink them anymore!) so I'm drinking a lot of water at bed time which = lots of trips to the bathroom. I'm trying to take those a few hours before bedtime and just deal with the fact they make me nauseous so cut back on the middle of the night bathroom trips.

I'm still able to sleep on my tummy although it is getting a little uncomfortable. I just lay half on a pillow to distribute my weight and that seems to help!

I have another appointment with Sheri in two weeks but I might just call her and see if she has any suggestions for these problems!

Do you guys have any ideas??

If you got up in the middle of the night and were getting a snack what would you get? I need some ideas...

And yeah, let's just pause for a second - I'm almost out of the first trimester! Thursday I'll be 14 weeks! Ahhh! Still feel like this baby is such a miracle. Robby's prayer tonight was short and included, "Please bless the little baby... I'm thankful for the baby and please bless it will stay in there..." We are just so glad to be pregnant.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, almost second trimester!?! So exciting!

    I would normally say I drink lots of water for headaches, but it sounds like you are. Hmmm... On the sleep, I TOTALLY remember that happening and I have no idea how to fix it. Man, that stinks! It sounds like you can take some naps during the day, though, so hopefully you can get enough total sleep in 24 hours.

    I'd totally call your midwife and ask. That's what she's there for! Good luck, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I didn't get sick at all my first trimester but had the worst HEADACHES well i guess migraines that you could imagine comparable to childbirth... Your headaches could be from your lack of soda since you dropped it or it could be a tired headache but from what it sounds like is it is from hormones. There isn't to much you can do but it they get unbearable the doc can give you a prescription but I know you are trying to avoid drugs which is great. Mine went away around the end of the forth month. What really helped me is taking a shower and a nap RIGHT when the head ache was coming... if I didn't than there was no turning back. Also my temporpedic pillow did wonders reliving the pressure on my head. Hopefully you can do that with your busy schedule. And I too had to wake up in the middle of the night for a snack... I always had some toast and juice or something. Anyway hope the headaches go away because they are terrible!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had both those issues this pregnancy! I've found that doing yoga really helps the headaches. I feel like it helps my body stay in proper alignment, kind of like giving myself a chiropractic adjustment except not scary :) I don't get them when I've done yoga in the last 48 hours or they go away if I do a session after I've been slacking...I'm hoping it will also help in delivery because I'm opting for a water birth in a birthing center this time :)
    The sleep issue----is still an issue. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, headaches and not being able to sleep--always the two worst parts of being pregnant for me. One thing that's really helped me with the headaches has been to watch for triggers to learn how I could sometimes prevent them in the first place. A big trigger for me, I've discovered, is tv/computer screens. If I cut down on the amount of time I spent looking at a screen each day, I noticed a huge drop in the frequency and severity of my headaches. Don't know if that will help you, but maybe! Hope you feel better soon and can GET SOME SLEEP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleep was definitely an issue for me; with the bathroom trips, especially.

    For me, it helped to expect being up at night and give myself something fun to look forward to, usually a nice plate of food ready to eat.
    Before I went to bed, I'd get my plate ready and say, I'll see you at midnight! :) Either a little bunch of grapes with some cheese and nuts, or apple slices, or just left overs from dinner.
    Sometimes I'd have a magazine I'd only read for my night time wake ups.
    This took the stress off and made it easier for me to go back to sleep because I wasn't worried about being awake. It was part of my routine. The worrying over loss sleep always made it worse for me.

    ReplyDelete