analytics

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ideas for natural childbirth

This is for you, Tiffany! And it's just one of my favorite subjects so I figured I'd do a post instead of a comment in answer to your question!

So, you're thinking about not having an epidural? Want to know what your options are? Well, I'm no expert but I've got a few ideas and am happy to share!!

When wanting to avoid an epidural these are some things I think are super important:

1. Educate yourself! Read read read read!!! Lots of awesome positive childbirth books! 
One of the keys to success in achieving a non-medicated birth is retraining your brain to NOT BE AFRAID of labor! Reading and learning about the process is a huge step in this. Learn what your body is capable of how awesome it is and let yourself feel empowered and not scared. Fear is what makes labor painful! When you can relax and let your body do it's job labor is less painful and goes much quicker!

This is my new favorite! The one I mentioned last time, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth 





Watch this movie: The Business of Being Born
In fact, if anyone is in Utah and is interested we can make it a movie night! I just bought this DVD and would love to have anyone over to watch it and chat about birth!! Just let me know! And I could probably get my expert sister in law Becca to join us and answer any questions you have!

2. Take a childbirth class that focuses or covers natural childbirth and other coping measures

 Like this class taught by Becca - I think she has a few openings left for her class in October!!!

With Robby I took this Hypnobabies class and felt like it really worked!! Looks like that instructor isn't teaching right now but I'd look into that method for sure.

3. Choose a care provider who will be supportive and limit interventions
 OB, Family Practice, Midwife... You have options! Find someone with a low c-section rate (midwives and family practice that's easy because it will be 0 but you can ask about their transfer rate). You want to find a care provider who will be patient and allow labor to progress as normally as possible. Studies show OBs typically want labor to adhere to a schedule (dilating about 1 cm = hour) and when that doesn't happen they are more likely to introduce pitocin or other interventions which are not medically necessary and will make continuing in labor without medication more difficult!

I've had some people ask me what the difference between an OB and a midwife is - A Midwife sees you all throughout your pregnancy just like an OB. I'll be seeing her once a month till the end, then it goes to every 2 weeks, then once a week. My apts with her are 30 min - 1 hr, as opposed to the 5 minutes some OBs schedule for you. She is concerned with your nutrition and any questions you might have and it's important to create a relationship of trust through the pregnancy.

**On this same note, CONSIDER GIVING BIRTH AT A BIRTH CENTER OR AT HOME.
I know this will sound very foreign to most of you and you might not know anyone who has done this so let me be an example for you! The easiest way to avoid unnecessary interventions is to stay out of a hospital. Hospitals continue to stick to policies that have shown to have no benefits to women or babies and if anything are detrimental (the "nothing by mouth" rule which restricts you from eating or drinking in labor; continuous electronic fetal monitoring which has shown to have no benefit over intermittent listening and has been linked to higher c-section rates and use of forceps). Ok, sorry guys, this is probably more info than you're interested in but I've just learned so much and feel like I'm bursting to share!!!
So it's just something to consider - some women don't even know these options exist and I want them to be aware of what's out there!

4. Hire a doula to support and guide you through your labor

Even if you have the most doting, loving, supportive husband I think having a doula is probably the BIGGEST key to having a non medicated birth! Having a trained labor support person with you through every moment who comes with a bag of tricks and knows comfort measures and position changes and can make suggestions is priceless. Or, if you are worried about the price, a doula costs a couple of hundred dollars (I think we paid $350 for ours) but if you consider the price of an epidural which is what? $500? So if you pay for a doula in place of an epidural that's pretty good!

You can go here to look for a doula in Utah. I chose a few to interview and then picked from there!

Like I said, I'm not an expert, this is just my opinion!

My story 
I knew I didn't want an epidural because there was no way someone was sticking a huge needle in my back. End of story. So I needed another option to manage the pain. I began looking around at childbirth classes in my area and settled on Hypnobabies. 

I went with the first doctor my friend's recommended and while he was a great doctor to THEM it was clear he wasn't what I wanted when I walked in and saw a sign on the wall in the waiting room that said something like, "If you are planning on using a doula or Hypnobirthing or Bradley Method please let us know so we can transfer your records." Oooookay. At least they were upfront about it so I knew right away I needed to change. I went with the 2nd recommendation and that doctor while he seemed "ok" with the idea of me wanting natural childbirth the first appointment but at the second when I started asking more detailed questions he was impatient and I could tell when it cam down to it he didn't really care. Third doctor - I set up an apt to interview Dr. Shelly Savage before I switched my records over and she seemed very open to helping a woman have her birth be whatever she wants. I went with her and was very happy! But it was hard and awkward to switch doctors! Here's a tip - if you find a NEW doctor you can ask THEM to request your records from the old doctor and you don't even have to tell them. Figured that out by doctor 3.

Throughout my pregnancy I read and learned and my opinions on birth developed... I had stronger reasons for not wanting an epidural and was excited about natural childbirth! 

I had a great experience with Robby with Dr. Savage, my doula Angie, and at Timpanogos Hospital. But I know I can have an awesome experience at home with my midwife Sherri, my sister Becca as my doula, and hopefully in the water! While it's totally possible to have a great experience in a hospital you are definitely going against the grain of their usual procedures and it can feel like a fight at times. I'm excited to be in my own home and have only my supportive team around me... 

Whew, sorry for being so wordy! Can't give a short answer! All she asked for was "A BOOK" recommendation and this is what you get. :)

7 comments:

  1. This is Olivia's cousin Katie. Had my fourth baby in March and it was my first natural birth. I think having it in a birthing center as opposed to a hospital was the key to my "success". When you try in a hospital they tend to make you feel like you are putting them out. Plus Ioved being back at home in my own bed within hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Es, thanks so much for the post! So, turns out I'm due a week or two after you (Mar 26). :) I don't feel comfortable with a home/birthing center birth, mostly because my births have been less than ideal/textbook. I hemorrhaged the first time, placenta in pieces, spiked a fever, waaayyy bad baby shakes....I was a disaster. Then I had shoulder distotia with the second, and she wasn't even 8 lbs! Turns out I have a small pelvic area. Awesome. And I had an absolutely horrible epidural experience, and can't even fathom having a needle shoved in my back again. Pretty sure I'd have a panic attack. No thanks. But the good news is I have an amazing family physician (with c-sections rights, even!) that is very supportive of my birthing choices, and I trust that he will do everything he can to take care of us, which is great. He encouraged me to taking some classes on natural childbirth, too. Didn't know Becca taught a natural childbirth class....will definitely be looking into that one! And if you get a movie night together I will so be there! Can you find all those books at the library? Perhaps I should get myself a library card.... :) Thanks again for all the info! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS....just read this post again.....cannot believe your first doc actually had that sign posted!!! What a joke!! I do not love OBs....mainly because they don't want their schedule messed up, c-section at the drop of a hat, oh please pay me 1 million dollars to literally come in the room when you're crowning, catch baby, stitch you up, leave, done. No thanks. I love that my doc hangs out with me, is there the entire time I'm pushing, asks my permission to cut me when he feels like there's just not enough room for baby to come out, etc. No comparison! My sisters in law and MIL all think I'm crazy and go to a witch doctor.....wrong. But, to each his own, right?? Anyway....I think I'm done now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post Es! I should borrow it for my website! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the book recommendations. my two kids came fast ... adeline 7 hours (for being my first), and anthony 4 hours. pushed through maybe 3 contractions, each?? cant remember, but it was fast. i am actually all about epidurals but am afraid that i may not have enough time next time around. so i am wanting to read read READ up on the subject to prepare for what i think will be the inevitable... at some point. knowledge is power, right? anyways, thanks again and a big congratulations to you all!

    ReplyDelete